Cool things leave you cold feet

I'm actually talking about those so-called cool widgets many bloggers put in their blogs. Here's the actual case: After an ample amount of time spent on a nice blog, I just realized that I left a trace on it. That box on the right made a stark evidence of my visit, not only to the aforementioned blog, but also other blogs which I happened to read following the links:

- Washington, D.C. left via xxx
- Washington, D.C. left via yyy
- Washington, D.C. left via zzz

Shoot!

That was my second exposure to the horror fact that complete anonymousness (yes, it's the correct word, I've checked it!) doesn't exist anymore. The first time I encountered it, I was a bit shocked, but then I tried to ignore it. I think I'm supposed to get used to it by the second time -- apparently not, because I even feel more annoyed than ever.

Being totally helpless when it comes to the blogging technology - or perhaps IT in general - I never really cared what I should or should not install for my blog. I learned the very basic HTML only to get a layout that isn't too unpleasant for these eyes. I used to put a sitemeter but later on decided to take it out as I don't see the necessity. I do check my Google analytics very randomly (and very rarely, I must say), yet it's never a must. [Note: it can be fun, though, to find some dudes in an unknown place in Africa dropped by this blog].

Maybe that is why blogging and the blogosphere lately have been quite uncomfortable to me. It used to be really fun when you just write whatever you like there, hop in other people's blogs, make comments if you want to, or just write a brief greeting in the shoutbox to make people aware you're out there and at the same time convey your message that you ARE inviting them to your blog. And if you want to remain anonymous - or, for some cases, pseudonymous - be it. No drama, no fight over stupid things and micro-mini issues, everybody's happy. If some jerks leave you unfriendly comments (hence unacceptable!), you just laugh at it and continue what you're doing.

It's getting too serious. Now everyone seems eager to get the longest list of blogrolls (well, maybe this one isn't so new) and comments. Now there are abundant discussions on blogging ethics and self-censorship. Now there are tips to keep your blogging spirit high and encourage others to blog. Now YOU want to know who's visiting your blog. Geeze! It.Is.Too.Much. I start to feel like a fugitive. Or a turkey in Thanksgiving week. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try visit all the 130,000 thousands so-called Indonesian blogs.

You won't have time to run for your life.

PS: On another note ;-) IT IS DAMN HILARIOUS !!!

Dodol Surodol said...

Tau nih, blog makin lama makin nggak asik. Gua mamam indomi juga nih!

Anonymous said...

silverlines: oh, it's 130 thousands already? ur right, by the time i hit the 120th blog i will have fainted :D. and about that hilarious post.. it couldn't be more right, RIGHT? ;) *still laughing my ass out*

dodol surodol: huh, di sini gak ada warung indomie! indomie masakan rumah gak sama!

Boe said...

Thus the questions of ontology, metaphysics and applied ethics as extended to the existential crises of modern men and women:
"What is blogging?”,
“Why do I blog?”
and “How should I blog?”
Hehehehehe...

-Fitri Mohan- said...

mbak'e, ini akunya yang nggak sensitip apa gimana yak? kok sampe gini hari aku masih ngeblog dengan falsafah bebas lepas dan nikmat? hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Boe: Is it a new branch called 'Bloggology'?

Fitri: Hahahhaa.. good for you jeng! Mungkin akunya yg uring2an sendiri gak jelas? ;)

Anonymous said...

iya sih sist, hehehe

Dodol Surodol said...

Emang beda sih. Tapi abis giman man dong, daripada nggak ada. Tapi di sono ada yang jual? Indomi buatan Indonesia?

Anonymous said...

ada yang jual indomie buat indonesia, boss. lumayan banyak loh di sini. senangnya tinggal jauh tapi yang basic2 begitu gampang didapat, hehehe...

Anonymous said...

mita: loh, apanya yang iya?